Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Little hands make BIG impacts

When I lost my job at the sheriff's office, I felt like my whole world was ending. A month later I was given an opportunity to work with kids. After studying criminal justice for 6 years, getting  two degrees and my basic peace officer certificate I was unsure, but I needed the money and it was a source of income. Little did I know that the Lord had bigger plans for me in this job. MUCH BIGGER...

Over the past year and a half I have encountered some of the most amazing precious children EVER. I didn't think that it was possible to love another's child (outside of family) as much as I do these students. They make me smile. They make my soul happy. What started off as a job will eventually become my career. I don't think the students (or parents) know just how much I love them! 

Over the past year I have invested so much time, money, and feelings into these small people. By allowing me to help them, they actually helped me. Helped me get through a difficult time in my life when I felt unworthy and unwanted. But they've wanted me and at times "needed" me (and vice versa). I enjoy the "death squeeze" hugs they give, the never ending stories they share (that would go on for hours if I didn't stop them), their laughs, smiles, and faces. 

I've enjoyed the gummy bear science experiments, cupcake fraction lessons, shaving cream spelling quizzes and Thanksgiving feasts with pilgrims and Indians. I will never forget that and hope they never do either!

In December I had to tell them that I would no longer be apart of their day to day lives and that broke my heart just as much as theirs. I feel as though I am letting them down and walking out when in fact I am simply taking night classes so that I can become a teacher and possibly make an even bigger impact on lives. It still hurts...

My prayer for them is that they never give up on their dreams. I pray that the Lord wraps His hand around them and molds them into the some of the greatest adults ever! I see so much potential in each and every one of them and I pray that they see it for themselves. I cannot wait to see the amazing things they will accomplish as they grow. 

I hope they know that I will FOREVER be a fan cheering them on!

No comments: